Saturday, August 1, 2009

Yoga & the second toe


Have just returned from Iyengar yoga class. Today we worked on getting the second toe to cleave to the big toe (or hallux) and so encourage our inner thighs down towards our inner heels. Not sure whether I've got this right or if I will remember the inner thigh inner heel connection the next lesson. I'm also trying to suck up my pelvic floor while allowing my groins to relax, and encouraging my armpit chest area to come grandly to the front without splaying my floating ribs.

iyengarImage by aloofdork via Flickr


Up on the walls of our yoga space we have black and white images of BKS Iyengar in all sorts of impossible asanas: I'm wondering if one of his devotees is adept at Photoshop.

My big problem is my knees. They hurt so much I've decided that I won't do the bent leg poses such as Virabhadrasana II and Parsvakonasana any more. (If you follow the link to "asana" Parsvakonasana's the 5th image in the chart.) Or, I won't even make an attempt to the get the thigh and the knee to a rightangle.

Knees are not my only problem. There's a reluctance in the place between my shoulder blades to take up a very pleasing (to my teachers) concave formation. I can get up into forearm balance and handstand, but without much style or elegance, and there's this humpy back, which some of my teachers like to point out to my classmates as a graphic warning about what they should avoid at all costs.

One rather sad thing, as I look back on my life and my many years of practising yoga (though not, I admit, as assiduously as my teachers would approve), is that I was better at it in the past than I am now. Just last year, in fact, I learned, through dedicated home practice, to do an effortless downward dog (adho mukha svanasana).

This is very nearly the first pose I ever practised. It's a foundation pose. I remember thinking last year, when I mastered the pose: "Everyone's always told me to stretch down my heels, but what they should have been telling me is to stretch out my spine". My teacher noticed my improvement when I did the dog. Praised my ankles. But then I promptly forgot how to do it. And I can't seem to work it out again. It's gone. Enlightenment for two weeks and then an ocean of nothing.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

  1. hey qotn:
    first thing first, I came here and put the nina simone song. I, I love it! Then dragged hubby over and said you got to listen to this song!
    No, I am not sick of it.

    Yoga: I used to do it more then I do now, though I will downward dog pose, as it is a super good stretch, like a general overall supergood head to toe stretch.

    I found the sun salutations a bit difficult, especially if repeated to often.

    I am a bigger fan of Pilates, myself.
    And have got back in to doing them at least 4 times a week.
    I fell out of all this stuff, when I had a bout of sciatica. Which made all that stuff very difficult.
    But, I did find with yoga, the more I did it, the better I got at it.
    It became easier and it hurt less.
    Perhaps in time, I will try it again, but right now I will stick with the Pilates.
    Now I am off to find some more Nina Simone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Penny,

    Yeah, definitely nothing wrong with Nina. One of my all-time favourites is "Brown-eyed Handsome Man".

    And I know about sciatica, too. I was once almost crippled by it, my mother was literally crippled by it. Poor mum! I still have a bit and I can't really do halasana very well: feel it in the side of the calf muscles. And sun salutation is a bugger.

    Logged onto your site this a.m. But will go there to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey qotn
    sciatica is like a waking nightmare, mine is gone, but not quite, like it is always there a bit.

    I saw your comment, only 10 gigs, yikes!
    I would be broken hearted.
    With all the stuff on line to see, movies, docs
    news stories, blogs, programs to listen to , I would be lost!!!

    I am going to find that song, I wrote the title down and will let you know how I like it,I'm pretty sure I will.

    ReplyDelete