Sunday, July 12, 2009

Wildlife in the Backyard



Very often, I will see something amazing and take a photo of it. Sometimes I will take a photo and see something amazing in it.This is what happened with the photo above.

I hoped to get a good shot of the rainbow through the kitchen window. (Mind you, rainbows haven't been very unusual over the last month or so. However, most of the state is still in drought, which is why we have had so many native birds in the city in recent years.) My

Rainbow lorikeet in grevilleaImage by zoom_eric via Flickr

neighbours' trees offer a continuous bird show: usually rainbow lorikeets--on this occasion, sulphur crested cockatoos. But how wonderful to see what I had not expected, an eagle, somewhere very high up, whose appearance would have been hidden by the cockatoo if I had taken the photo a split second later.

It's the first time I have seen an eagle in the area. (Mind you, I don't go about looking for them.) But I have seen many wonderful animals in my yard and the neighbourhood, and here are some of them.











Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

  1. hey qotn. I didn't realize this is such a new blog, I do hope you keep it up. When I first started mine, I wondered if I would, then I became totally hooked on doing it. It is a good outlet for whatevery one needs to get out.

    For me that is mostly the nonsense in the media, I read the article you left a link for, I wonder, because from what I understood, Australia had been hard hit with swineflu. but then the article seemed a bit contradictory? Then I wondered. Is this more baloney?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and one more thing, It doesn't really hurt to have some extra food on hand anyway, we have commercials here, in case of storms etc to have a couple weeks worth of cans, water, dried goods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Penny, the blogging's great fun. Where was I when this all started? I don't know. Out of the loop most of the time: driving to work, driving home, cooking, sleeping.
    I've been away for a few days, with no internet, and I missed your blog. Wondering what you've been reading. Now I know.

    The local news has included articles about hospitals purchasing more of those machines to oxygenate the blood when the lungs pack it in, but I didn't know that this was different to other places in the world. I know that when I read the advice from Queensland a month ago that I should go out and buy canned goods, I did. One item on the shopping list was bottled water: did that mean the taps would stop running? Why? I couldn't work it out, so I decided that if lots of people were going down with swine 'flu I'd fill the bath and sinks, and save the expense of bottled water.

    I lived in Hawai'i for a while and I remember the public service messages on t.v. about what you should include in your survival kit. It's so foreign in Sydney, though. No snow. We're not in the tropics and very unused to wild weather. In Queensland and northern NSW though, cyclones, flooding, etc. are far more common.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice "Phots". Hehe.

    ReplyDelete