Saturday, July 25, 2009

Uluru: to climb or not to climb

This is not new news now, but I've been sitting on it and trying to decide how I feel for a while.

Uluru-Kata Tjuta National ParkImage by frizzetta via Flickr

Go here to see the article in which Kevin Rudd gives his opinion on the possible closure of the walk up Uluru.

The Anangu (the traditional owners of the land) list a variety of reasons people should not to walk up the rock. Some of them relate to the environment: damage to the surface of the rock; increase in harmful bacteria in the water in around the rock, due to lack of toilet facilities on the three-hour climb. (And it is these reasons, presumably, which has Peter Garrett, the Minister for the Environment, convinced that the walk should be closed.) Other reasons given for the request that visitors not climb the rock relate to the danger of the climb. And some reasons relate to the traditional owners' beliefs about the rock.

The Anangu, presumably, could just close access to the rock. They haven't done that as yet; they just ask visitors not to climb it. The rock is already closed at various times, and during bad weather by the Manager of the National Parks (I suppose). I wonder why the traditional owners don't just close the rock at all times.

On the issue of Kevin Rudd coming out so publicly and strongly against the closure of the walk up Uluru, I have more definite opinions. Our PM is known for his Christian faith. He's not averse to sprinkling his soundbites with "God" and "pray" and "evil" and "hell". Why, then, so averse to the equally illogical beliefs of other Australians? I think the answer is obvious: the supreme being I barrack for is better than the supreme being you barrack for. Mine is great. Yours is just silly.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

  1. It's sad for the people that haven't climbed it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, the traditional owners say the visit's not about climbing the rock, it's about listening when you're there. You'll find out if you go there, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin Rudd, sounds like a george bush lite.

    Myself, I don't know about the rock.

    I do wonder why people feel they must climb it? Is it the perception of conquering it?
    btw:I like that song by Nina Simone. I have never actually heard it before, but I quite like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Penny. Didn't set out to be too critical of Kevin. I think some things have improved in Oz since his election.

    Actually, we were all hanging out here for someone (almost anyone) who was not John Howard, after 12 years of mean-spirited 1950's style conservative politics.

    Kevin is a Christian and doesn't mind rabbitting on about it, having himself photographed outside church, etc. I object to this. I didn't vote for the religion. I don't think it's relevant to the political arena. We live in a secular democracy. He can talk about god, or the little people, or whatever supernatural creatures he's into, but these are not relevant to his electorate. (One of the most common responses to the religion question in the last census was "Jedi".) Actually, politicians banging on about god was quite uncommon until a very few years ago in Australia, if my memory serves me. I was shocked at all the religious imagery I encountered in U.S. political debate while I was there. But nowadays the rot is becoming far more common in Australia, probably following the spread in US-style born-again groups here.

    Thanks for your comment on the music. I love Nina.

    ReplyDelete